Sunday, March 27, 2011

Congratulation Deep Pun




 Deep, congratulation. I became very glad when I visited u in BBC. Very very congratulation with best wishes. 
I don't know about you face to face. I just click google and met you in Pun Samaj UK where mentioned about you that you are Bima village of Myagdi. 
I also from Lahure community but I never seen that dream. Our culture has been facing with the Lahure culture.  Most of the Magar community youth's dream use to be a British Army. I don't know, it is my fortune or not, but I never seen. I think, its main reason was that I got political consciousness which was 'against Lahure culuture', in my very young age. I heard songs who were composed about the tragedy and fate of Lahure who fought unknown enemy for salt, for others. And, I heard songs of Mani Thapa, Jiban Sharma which were against the Lahure culture. My eldest brother and some teachers were political party leader, who used to say not to join in UK army for salt. 
I've curiosity by young age -why joining? what is its cause? who played role? who sold for salt its people taking dollar? what is its political cause? Yes, it is  also my duty to know own ansester's Kahani.
I've some friends are Lahure. Some are in UK and some are in Singapore. We are connected each-others by facebook and email, now, too. Dadhi Bandhu Gharti Magar, Lal Rana, Kismat Gharti Magar, Kangmang Naresh, Mulbir Rai and so on....
Yesterday, I read story of Deep, in my newspaper Republica, where I use to work. When I read story again in my paper and remembered what Lal Rana had told the story of Afganistan. 
I put this text from paper for my blog readers also with video. 
LONDON, March 25: A Gurkha soldier who single-handedly fought off up to 30 insurgents in Afghanistan, even using his gun tripod when he ran out of bullets, has been rewarded for bravery, British officials said Friday.

Sergeant Dipprasad Pun, 31, of the Royal Gurkha Rifles, fired 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to thwart the assault by Taliban fighters at a British checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand province last year.


The only weapon he did not use was the traditional curved Kukri knife carried by the Nepalese soldiers, because he did not have it with him.

Pun saved the lives of three colleagues who were at the checkpoint and was presented with the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross for his outstanding bravery at a ceremony in London on Thursday, the Ministry of Defence said.

The medal is a level below the prestigious Victoria Cross, Britain´s top award for gallantry.

"I think I am a very lucky guy, a survivor. Now I am getting this award it is very great and I am very happy," said Pun, who is originally from Bima in western Nepal but now lives in Kent, southeast England, with his wife.

Pun was on sentry duty on the evening of September 17, 2010, when he heard a clinking noise outside the checkpoint. Going to investigate, he found two insurgents trying to lay a bomb.

Realising he was about to be attacked, and his platoon were out on patrol, he informed his commander by radio and opened fire on the enemy.

In the ensuing firefight, which saw him bombarded by rocket-propelled grenades and AK47s for more than 15 minutes, Pun moved around his position to fend off the attack from three sides using every type of weapon he could find.

Up on the roof, Pun found himself face to face with a Taliban fighter and fired his machine gun at him until he fell off.

When another insurgent tried to climb up, Pun´s gun either jammed or ran out of ammunition so he picked up a sandbag to use as a weapon, but then the contents fell out.

In desperation, he grabbed the metal tripod of his machine gun and threw it at the man, shouting "Marchu talai" -- "I will kill you" in Nepali.


Pun told officers at the time that there were more than 30 attackers, although local villagers later told him there were more likely to be 12 or 15.

He said he thought the assault would never end and "nearly collapsed" when it was over, admitting: "I was really scared. But as soon as I opened fire that was gone -- before they kill me, I have to kill some."

Pun was one of 136 servicemen and women awarded honours Friday, four of them posthumously.






No comments:

Post a Comment